Well, I just received my first full dose of Sandostatin. I am very hopeful that this will slow, if not reverse, the growth of my tumors. I have been told that it doesn’t always work for everyone and that sometimes it actually will reverse tumor growth. So….I’m saying my prayers. 🙂
I had gotten a test shot a few weeks ago and everything went fine. It had no adverse effects on me at all. The full dose seems to be playing havoc on my stomach…yuck. Here’s a list of side effects for your reference. The list came from here and here.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- Slow or irregular heartbeats;
- Gallbladder problems (stomach pain);
- Pancreatitis (pain in the upper stomach or back, nausea, vomiting, fever, bloating, yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- Thyroid problems (may be detected by blood tests);
- Low blood sugar (headache, confusion, drowsiness, weakness, dizziness, fast heartbeat, sweating, tremor, nausea); or
- High blood sugar (increased thirst and urination; flushed or dry skin; drowsiness).
Less serious side effects may include:
- Nausea or vomiting;
- Mild stomach pain or gas;
- Constipation; or
- Pain or irritation where you injected the medication.
You can learn more about Sandostatin here. Sandostatin or Octreotide mimics a natural hormone in the body called Somatostatin. My understanding is that somatostatin reduces the release of growth hormone and therefore inhibits the growth of the carcinoid tumors. Sandostatin is also supposed to reduce the symptoms of carcinoid syndrome but, I feel worse on the medicine than I do off of it. I hope I just have a “bug” and that it’s not the medicine’s side effects. I’ll give it a day or two. (update: it’s not a bug…the shot ruins my stomach) There are a number of published reports and papers regarding Sandostatin and it’s use to inhibit tumor growth. You can read about them here.
I am told that this is a very good treatment by my doctor and that it has reversed tumor growth in some patients. I am continuing to look for more effective therapies and or treatments.
I will keep you posted,
To find out how to use my images on your blog for free – Click Here